Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help Identifying Speakers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member cbotka2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Hi, this user's board is new to me, so I hope this is an acceptable question. I recently began restoration of a pair of Altec Monitors.

    Each cabinet has a 15" driver and a horn. Additionally there are 2 3" (or so) round ports. These cabinets also contain an amplifier and electronic crossover model number 770.

    I have photographs, but am not sure how to post them.

    The only reference to the cabinet design is found on the inside rear cover of the Altec "Loudspeaker Enclosures...Their Design and Use" catalog I have.

    thanks for any information.

    Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi

    You can use this site to post your image.http://www.uploadimages.net/index.php

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cbotka2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the link, unfortunately it's not working right now... I'll keep on trying.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Chris, welcome to the board.
    Refer to the driver reference link below.
    The last 2 pages lists the models that use the 770 biamp.
    I think you might have the 2878a vented using the 413-8a woofer.
    Can you check your woofer number?
    The 2878b or any with the 411-8a is a sealed cabinet version.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...975-driver.htm

    This link seems more reliable for posting pictures
    http://www.imagevenue.com/

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cbotka2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Art,

    here are the links to the pictures...\

    http://img40.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._DSC00991b.jpg

    and
    http://img27.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._DSC00990b.jpg

    I will try and get a number off the woofer.

    chris

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They look to be a pair of 846b Altec Valencia cabinets. Someone has modified the back of the cabinet to accept the 770 biamp. Originally it would have come with a N801 Passive xover, 811b horn with 806 driver and 416z woofer.

    The 770 biamp sounds good but they are really problematic. You look at them funny and they blow up.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cbotka2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Steve! I did a search on the 846b and found a site with a picture and specs.

    http://www.kogerer.ru/subj/valencia-846b.html

    The cutouts for the amps do appear a bit rough (like they were made after the cabinets were assembled, so I think you are correct.

    I have spent many years around sqirly amps and am taking all the precautions I can think of. Hopefully this is enough.

    I think they sound good (with a but of EQ), in your opinion, is there anything I can do to make them better (like going back to a passive crossover, driving them with a CJ amp, etc...?)

    Chris

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Harasho- if you can read Russian. In terms of the biamps they are going to sound better than passives if working correctly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.